the visa application process

Today: sorting through visa requirements. We don’t know what the difference is between the non-lucrative visa and the retirement visa: the language of the proof of periodic income is the only variance. We’ll take it all…

ORIGINAL and ONE PHOTOCOPY of EVERYTHING – we each have to have our own of all of this, except the marriage certificate.

  1. National visa application form – this is a scary document, but we only have to fill out the first page and a half or so – it’s basically passport info.
  2. Form EX-01 – this is only available in Spanish. It is the residency form: we have to have an address in Spain before we can apply for a visa.
  3. Original passport – one source says with copy of the info page; one source says with copy of whole passport. Guess which we’re going to go with?
  4. Two passport size photos
  5. Notarized document explaining why we want to live in Spain – this has to be translated into Spanish – a certified translation! We don’t know for sure what that means, but we’ll figure it out…
  6. Proof of enough periodic income – also requires a certified Spanish translation
  7. Police Criminal Record clearance – cannot be older than 3 months from application date – certified translation into Spanish. Can be either:
    1. Dept of State clearance – must be legalized with Apostille
    2. FBI records – must be legalized with Apostille
  8. Medical Certificate – not older than 3 months before date of application – plus certified translation into Spanish – on letterhead – language exists already, so that’s a copy & paste and take to the appointment.
  9. Proof of international medical insurance – plus certified translation into Spanish
  10. Authorization form M790 C052 + fee
  11. Marriage certificate – authenticated with the Apostille plus certified translation into Spanish

So – we start with the documents that require the Apostille, because that will be an extra step.

Apostille certification requires a Notary Public – no problem there. We have to submit the original document for authentication. BUT documents that are recordable don’t require Notary Public, so it seems we can skip that step.



One thought on “the visa application process

  1. A certified translation means you must have a certified translater read and translate your document. Contact your courthouse for a legally certified translater. If they don’t have a Spanish translater I would be surprised. You can check for one at the hospitals as well. Go to those two locations until you find one. Ask to see their certification document. Also get their info: their name, when the got the certification and where.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s